Speak to one of our friendly family lawyers today to see how we can assist you in this process and apply for a divorce on your behalf.

Let us use our extensive experience to help you resolve your case.

Please fill out the form and we will get back to your shortly. 

We can apply for a divorce on your behalf if you have been separated from your spouse for a period of 12 months.

We offer fixed fees divorce applications so that you can have certainty as to your costs. Our family lawyers are able to commence this process upon receiving your instructions and a copy of your marriage certificate.

Our family lawyers have extensive experience in applying for divorce when one of the parties is overseas or cannot be located. Essendon Family Lawyers work to have your divorce application completed promptly and cost-effectively.

Under Australian Law, you can only apply for divorce after you have been separated for a period of at least one year. The Family Law Act 1975 established the principle of ‘no-fault divorce’. This means when granting a divorce, the Court does not consider why the marriage ended and the only ground for divorce is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.

If both parties agree to the divorce, you may apply for a joint application for divorce. However, if the other party does not agree to the divorce, you may still go forward with your application but you will need to serve the Divorce application on the other spouse prior to the divorce hearing. If you make a sole application, you are known as the applicant and the other party is known as the Respondent. For a joint application, both parties are known as joint applicants.

Once a Divorce Order is granted at the Divorce Hearing, it does not become final until one month and one day after the Divorce Hearing. Once the Court has fixed the date on which the Divorce is final, you may then make arrangements to remarry.

Yes. You may apply for a divorce in Australia, even if you or your spouse are not currently living in Australia. You can apply for a divorce in Australia if either you or your spouse:

  • Consider Australia as your home and intend to live in Australia indefinitely;
  • Are an Australian citizen by birth, descent or by grant of Australian citizenship;
  • Ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months before filing for divorce.

The Court will need to be satisfied that you and your spouse have been apart for at least 12 months and it is reasonably unlikely you will resume married life.

If you are eligible to apply for a divorce in Australia, it does not matter whether you were married overseas. There is no requirement for an overseas marriage to be registered in Australia. The foreign Marriage Certificate will be evidence that the marriage occurred. The marriage certificate will be translated into English by a registered translator and filed with an Affidavit of the Translator which:

  • Attaches a copy of the marriage certificate;
  • Attaches a copy of the English translation of the marriage certificate;
  • States that the translation is an accurate translation of the marriage certificate; and
  • States that the attached copy of the marriage certificate is a true copy of the marriage certificate translated.

The time it takes for a divorce to be finalised depends on many factors. Generally, in complicated matters where for example, the spouse can not be located or you do not have a marriage certificate, the process takes a longer period of time. In addition to such factors, it also depends on how busy the Court is at the time.

Our lawyers at Essendon Family Lawyers understand how stressful the uncertainty may be during this period, therefore we will handle your matter as efficiently as possible to ensure the process is finalised as soon as practicable.

A divorce will not sort out issues relating to children or property. This must be dealt with separately to the Divorce Application. Division of property and custody issues must be done within 12 months of the date of the Divorce Order.

Speak with one of our family lawyers today and find out how to resolve your parenting and property issues.

We can assist you with:

No Obligation Consult

Contact us to arrange a consult with us either by telephone or in person. We can provide general advice to you free of charge and with no obligation to proceed.

Experienced Lawyers

Our lawyers have experience in all family law and related jurisdictions. We have expertise and experience in both parenting and financial disputes.

Emergency Hotline

We understand that urgent family law and intervention matters arise. We are available for contact in emergency circumstances to provide you with the right advice.

Our Affiliations:

Family Lawyers

Contact us today and get the right advice about your family law case.

Call us on: 03 8391 8411

Emergency Contact: 0423 729 686

Office consultations by appointment only.

Contact Us

Visit our contact to send us an email or to book a consultation to discuss your family law matter.

We can arrange in-person or telephone consultations.

2020 Copyright.

Essendon Family Lawyers.

All Rights Reserved.

View our disclaimer.